The first Carlisle store was opened on Main Street Ashtabula in 1857 as Tyler and Carlisle. Lorenzo Tyler was the Father in Law of Henry Theodore Carlisle who in turn was the great-great grandfather of Lorenzo (Ren) Tyler Carlisle III, the present co-owner of Carlisle’s Home in the Harbor on Bridge Street.
Near the turn of the century, the Main Street store, now known as Carlisle and Tyler was closed and a new store was opened on Bridge Street, two building west of the present Carlisle’s store. The store was known as H.T. Carlisle and Son and it prospered during the Harbor Boom years. When the Boom went Bust early in the 20th century, Lorenzo Tyler Carlisle sold the Harbor store and opened a new store called The Carlisle Company back on Main Street. L.T. formed a partnership with Miles Allen and in 1927 the partners opened a grand three level store called Carlisle-Allen. Amongst other luxuries, the store offered the first elevator in Ashtabula. The store prospered and expanded to five stories and the company added branch stores after World War II in Warren and Painesville, Ohio.